MoMa Play Town

I was thrilled to work with Chronicle Books on this project for MoMa. New challenges. Building structures. Volume. Thinking in 3D. All new to me. Designing this slot-together cityscape that can be put together “the right way” or “your own way” was a big challenge . But oh, what fun I had!  Play Town will be available July 2012.

You can order here.

Comment on this post.

7 Comments

1. Posted May 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

It’s fantastic! I know a little boy who would love this so much! (…adding to the list of good gifts…)

• Laura Ljungkvist
      Posted May 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Thanx Molly! I loved doing this so much!
      LL

• Posted January 21, 2017 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Good to see a taenlt at work. I can’t match that.

• Laura Ljungkvist
      Posted May 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Thanx Susan!
      LL

2. Posted May 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Love it, Laura! I especially love the idea of offering kids the option to create for themselves.

3. Brandy Lee
    Posted August 17, 2012 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Hi Laura,
    I love Playtown. I teach an art/architecture class for kids and this is the perfect piece to show them! When I introduce a special book, like your play kit, I present the concepts of the book, the authors insights, the authors background, etc. I gathered that you are originally from Sweden and arrived in NY and the rest….
    1. Do you get your child’s reactions to your work?
    2. what inspires you?
    3. You have a strong background in 2D graphics what was you inspiration to create the 3D buildings?
    4. Did you really reuse patterns from your pattern library or are they new creations? For example, the “Eiffel tower” building has a beautiful pattern which reminds of lacey iron.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I should receive your kit soon (Amazon) I hope I can include your answers to the presentation of Playtown!

Brandy

• Laura Ljungkvist
      Posted August 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Thanx for your comments and your questions Brandy. I will answer your questions best I can in an email. Best, LL